Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Robert Wilhelm Land
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?
Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> The exim overview file that came with my debian
> distribution contains the following paragraph:
>
> "
> There is support for multiple user mailboxes controlled by prefixes or
> suffixes on the user name, either via the filter mechanism or through
> multiple .forward files.
> "
> Does 'this' user name relate to the name I used when
> logging in my debian system and does the pasted text
> mean that exim has features simular to the ones of procmail
> which the most people on the debian list recommended to
> use?
>
> Would be very grateful if someone would put the text above
> into other words.

(As you use Debian i suppose you have exim3, but if you ask questions
here, tell us at least your exact exim version)

Exim has a built in filter language, please see this link,
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/filter.html

suffixes and prefixes is meant this way

user-suffix@???
prefix-user@???

an admin can catch this in a director, please see
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec.html

if the prefix/suffix matched, it will be available in
$local_part_prefix/$local_part_suffix while processing an exim filter,
or the admins uses the qmail-way and allows the user to put one .forward
file per suffix/prefix, like ~/.forward-prefix

And, if this belongs to the user your are logging in or not depends on
your setup, but i guess for debian it will be the same.

ciao