Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads
On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:23:29AM +0800, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> baptista@??? (Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira) writes:
>> I'm still forced to use exim 3 because debian unstable isnt supporting
>> exim 4 oficially yet. Thanks, PH

> "Forced"?

Laziness, or valueing a nice tested system more than the using the
newest latest version of exim.

> Why does Debian make so many people afraid of compiling their own code, or
> of using anything other than eximconfig to configure exim, for that matter?
> :(

> This is not intended as a flame against Debian, which is doubtless a fine
> distro... but just because there isn't an official package, what stops you
> from compiling exim from source?

Hello,
It is not about being afraid or not - installing the package relieves
me of _lots_ of work:
  - Debian provides security updates
  - Debian provides nice upgrades (think of switching from db2 to db3)
  - The package is customized for debian: The locking method and
    correct path for incoming spool on debian systems is used.
  - Debian provides bug tracking.
  - Debian provides compiled binaries.
  - The Debian package is already tested.

If I did not want this benefits I'd use http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> You could just build a deb package for yourself if you want to keep things
> cleaner...

If you build _clean_ policy-conform packages there's little to say
against it.
             cu andreas