Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] Exim on Debian (was: Exim at high loads)
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim at high loads
doneill@??? (Daniel O'Neill) writes:

> I use debian and i compile source all the time. Just, some people use
> Debian because of laziness, or maybe they don't like/know how to compile
> large programs like Exim.

At one of our local LUG meets (this was the "10th anniversary of linux" meet
at http://www.ilug-hyd.org.in fwiw) I showed a guy how to compile exim. He
picked it up immediately, and was compiling exim within minutes of my
showing him how to do it.

Exim is, imho, one of the easiest MTAs to compile and configure.

> I dunno, I like to tweak my software, but Debian does a great job of
> tossing in vanilla libraries that would otherwise make installing, say,
> Ximian, a real pain in the butt.

Ximian - yea. I'd use auto update mechanisms of one kind or another for
that one myself (and cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2/; make install clean can have
some interesting results). But exim? :)

> How can Debian 'officially' support a GPL product? What's to support?
> What support?

True. Support from Debian = Zilch. Zip. Zero.

The package maintainer would supply some degree of support I guess (like
feature requests, bugfixes if any).

> It's just their way of saying 'if it blows up don't hate us, but it
> should all be good.', so don't fear the testing section of your
> apt.sources

That says it all. Thanks :)

    -srs