Re: [Exim] verify/callout again

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] verify/callout again
On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Phil Chambers wrote:

> I am not seeing that text in the output (with or without -d). Reading
> the spec, 37.10 says "if the callout option is present ... if the
> address is successfully routed to one or more remote hosts". Surely,
> routing is to transports and transports manage what happens next. How
> does exim know what is a remote host?

What it means is "if the address is successfully routed, and as part of
that routing, some remote hosts were identified as the place to send
messages for this address". For example, the domain is looked up in the
DNS, or a manualroute router has a list of hosts. If the routing is to a
local mailbox, for example, it isn't routed to remote hosts and no
callout can possibly be done.

> Surely it is my ACL which makes
> that decision:
>
>   deny message = "..."
>        domains = +callout_domains
>        ! verify = recipient/callout

> by using the domains qualifier?

That controls which domains are subject to

        ! verify = recipient/callout

but, for those domains, the ones that route to remote hosts get the
callout treatment. Of course, you probably set it up so that ALL such
domains route like that, but it's not necessarily the case.