Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10: "Could not complete sender callout che…

Author: Ralf G. R. Bergs
To: exim-users@exim.org
CC: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10: "Could not complete sender callout check" for domain w/o MX and unpingable A RR
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:35:43 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>
>> The sender domain doesn't have an MX host:
>>
>>   mx sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in
>>   sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in MX record currently not present
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>What does that actually mean? That wording seems to suggest that there
>is some temporary problem in the DNS lookup. Otherwise you would expect

It seems so, nslookup gives me the following:

> sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in

  Server:         iisc.ernet.in
  Address:        144.16.64.3#53

*** Can't find sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in: No answer

>something more like "no such MX record". However, I'm guessing here. I'm
>not familiar with that comment.

I was also wondering about that message, but "host -t mx" gives me the same
message.

>> So Exim is supposed to connect to the A RR
>
>Only if it knows there is no MX record. If the MX lookup gave a
>temporary response, Exim has to defer.

I see. Ok, then it's ok for Exim NOT to directly connect to the A RR, but to
wait until it receives a permanent error (or an "ok.")

>At this time, there seems to be no problem with the DNS records for that
>domain. At least, not when looked up from here. There is indeed no MX
>record, and Exim routes to the A record.

Very strange that I get continuous temporary problems looking up the MX for
that domain, but even stranger is that the reply varies with the tool I'm
using:

# mx sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in
sagarika...in MX record currently not present <--- suggests timeout
# host -t mx sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in
sagarika...in MX record currently not present <--- suggests timeout
# dig sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in mx

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in mx
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
                              ^^^^^^^^^ does NOT suggest timeout
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in.   IN      MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
iisc.ernet.in.          10182   IN      SOA     iisc.ernet.in.
postmaster.ece.iisc.ernet.in. 2180 10800 900 21100 11600

;; Query time: 4 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Mon Aug 26 14:20:40 2002
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 96

Still any ideas anyone?!

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\