Re: [Exim] Should I allow "MAILER-DAEMON@" as a sender witho…

Author: Dave C.
To: Ralf G. R. Bergs
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Should I allow "MAILER-DAEMON@" as a sender without verification?
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just noticed that some auto-reply was blocked by Exim 4.1 because the sender
> mailbox isn't accepted on the sender's MX:
>
>   sender verify fail for <MAILER-DAEMON@???>: response to
>     "RCPT TO:<MAILER-DAEMON@???>" from fw-btv-rz.bayernoil.de
>     [62.153.86.59] was 550 Mailbox unavailable: This site may not be used as a
>     relay agent.

> Should I always accept senders of MAILER-DAEMON@ without verifying that they
> really exist, or can one say that the sender's MX is broken if it doesn't accept
> mail to MAILER-DAEMON@ and thus I should NOT change my Exim configuration? Any
> pointers to some relevant RFC?

Bounce messages should not have <MAILER-DAEMON@wherever> as their sender
address. If you are verifying headers, then perhaps you should consider
allowing MAILER-DAEMON@anydomain as valid.

If this site wants to send mail with an envelope sender of
<MAILER-DAEMON@theirdom>, then they have to be prepared to accept a
bounce message in return to that address (where exim will properly use
<> as the env sender), if that message was underliverable at your site.