Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10: "Could not complete sender callout che…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ralf G. R. Bergs
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.10: "Could not complete sender callout check" for domain w/o MX and unpingable A RR
On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> The sender domain doesn't have an MX host:
>
> mx sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in
> sagarika.aero.iisc.ernet.in MX record currently not present

                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What does that actually mean? That wording seems to suggest that there
is some temporary problem in the DNS lookup. Otherwise you would expect
something more like "no such MX record". However, I'm guessing here. I'm
not familiar with that comment.

> So Exim is supposed to connect to the A RR

Only if it knows there is no MX record. If the MX lookup gave a
temporary response, Exim has to defer.

At this time, there seems to be no problem with the DNS records for that
domain. At least, not when looked up from here. There is indeed no MX
record, and Exim routes to the A record.