RE: [Exim] IS it possible? An idea may be

Autor: David Markham
A: 'Suresh Ramasubramanian', 'Dave C.'
CC: 'Exim User \(E-mail\)'
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] IS it possible? An idea may be
Ok I wasnt going to get into what I implement at the moment but it seems
that there's some interest.

I am not pretending to be proficient in exim as I don't have too much time
to play around, but when I do get some time I like to improve things.

We get Spam alot. Full stop. offering a freeisp people just dial up and then
can send email through our outbound servers as they have a dial up ip
address contained in host_accept_relay

Some spammers do dictionary spamming at the same domain. Some mix domains.
The harder ones seem to send to a few recipients at a time and change the
from addresses, making it hard to spot in the queue. Now normally I would do
a sender_verify to make sure they are in a list of domains we are isp for
but the company wants users to be able to use their own domains so they can
have their from addresses as joeblogs@???

We have monitoring for when the queue builds to past a certain number then
we react.
I have a blocked senders file which I add bad people too in the form of
domain localpart
and if its not a domain I host such as sexkittens.com then I block the whole
domain with sexkittens.com *

I also have a system_filter in place and when I look at an actual mail and
it is "buy this new thing from our wicked website" I add it with

if $message_body matches "buy this......"
then
seen finish
endif

Also I have something which monitors the queue and if there are more than 70
mails from the same email address then I automatically remove them.

The problem is most of this is very reactive and does not detect a new
spammer without intervention.

The clever ones who seem to use the same message with different from
addresses to now show up as obviously in the queue I have done a very crude
script which searches through all messages in the queue, greps for what I
say eg " buy this new..." and invokes exim -Mrm <msg id> but again I have
to find an offending message and then do this.

My original question was what config if possible could I use to prevent
people sending to more than 20 localpaarts@??? to protect against
one aspect of the Spam.

Hope I haven't bored people and if there are any suggestions on making this
easier please let me know. Its an uphill struggle.