Re: [Exim] IS it possible? An idea may be

Autor: Suresh Ramasubramanian
A: Dave C.
CC: David Markham, 'Exim User \(E-mail\)'
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] IS it possible? An idea may be
djc@??? (Dave C.) [Friday, August 09, 2002 10:35 AM]:

> I hope you arent providing SMTP relay service with that freemail
> account. And spammers dont actually send using any webmail service -
> too slow. They only use them as drop boxes.

That *used* to be the case. My job was far easier. Spammers seem to have
discovered LWP scripts and how to daisy-chain these through multiple open
proxies. These scripts

* Sign up for dozens of webmail accounts (often with randomized usernames
and passwords, taken from /usr/dict/words or whatever)

* Automate logging into our service and posting through these webmail
accounts.

We have to heavily rate limit our webmail service, and install some fairly
fascist inbound and outbound mail controls (any accounts hitting that rate
limit are automatically frozen).

    -srs