RE: [Exim] Attachment Filtering

Autor: Simon Barr
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] Attachment Filtering
> Adrian Swinoga wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm needing a little help. I'm wanting to filter out on one of
> the machines I administer all attachments with a .exe .com .bat
> .vba etc, basically anything that'll execute on a Windows
> machine. I've found the system_filter.exim but the installation
> instructions arent very well explained I feel.
> >
> > The systems is a Debian 2.2 machine with exim 3.12-10.2.
> >
> > Any help in trying to enable this attachment filter or another
> filter of some description would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> I have a machine in the same condition, but my experience is that
> 3.12 won't accomodate system filter support which came with 3.2 if I
> recall correctly. Upgrade to the Woody version (3.35) if you can and the
> filter will do quite well. Unfortunately, 4.x isn't yet in an official
> maintained Debian package, but it's available elsewhere.
>
> --

I'm using Debian 2.2 for two mail servers here and I use the system
filter to block executable attachments like you want to.

What I have done is to compile and setup 3.3x and configure it to use
the system filter. To stop things breaking when doing apt-get dist-upgrade
I've put the Debian installed exim (which is installed but not used) on
hold using dselect.

Just because there is no Debian package there is nothing stopping you
downloading and installing a later version of something.

HTH

Simon Barr
Systems Engineer

Chelsing Assemblies Ltd