Re: [Exim] Conditional startup panic condition

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Sheldon Hearn
CC: Tamas TEVESZ, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Conditional startup panic condition
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Exactly. How do I test the value of the macro, given that it's used as
> a component of a path (to the spool directory, for example)? The only
> thing I can think of is to use expansion in the value for spool_directory,
> and to expand to a syntactically invalid pathname if the default value
> of the macro hasn't been overridden. Syntactically invalid pathnames
> are quite hard to produce. :-)

Here's how to solve your problem:

FOOBAR = unset
pid_file_path = ${if ! eq{FOOBAR}{unset}{}fail}

An empty value = "unset", so it will revert to the default.

Don't use spool_directory. If the expansion fails, Exim will try to
write to the log. Where will it put the log if you haven't set
log_file_path? Er, in the spool directory...