Re: [Exim] Virtual Host woes

Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
A: James Harr
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Virtual Host woes
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, James Harr wrote:

> I've seen proprietary setups for users like:
> /home/fubar/etc/passwd
> All the uids are set to the same thing as fubar's uid (an actual system
> account).
>
> Then they use a proprietary pop3/smtp server to retreive email (by using a
> full email address for logins).

Have a look at vm-pop3d; no database needed; you can also use it without
any superuser (root) privileges if used via inetd (xinetd or similar).
http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/

Looking at a dictionary for "proprietary" I see many definitions: vm-pop3d
does use different locations for the virtual users than normal mail setups
-- but it does fall back to standards (like _PATH_MAILDIR, PAM,
getpwnam(3)) and, anyways, the source code is available and modifiable. So
you are not at the mercy of the vendor :) Also commercial support can be
provided.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.isp-faq.com/