Re: [Exim] Virtual Host woes

Autor: Chris Knipe
A: James Harr, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Virtual Host woes
Lo,

I use exim+tpop3d...

Everything completely MySQL driven, and I don't use local deliveries at all
(mail recipients for which there are a account on the server). My primary
domain name, is also setup as a virtual host, and goes into the same fashion
as the rest of the domains as listed below.

All mail goes to /var/spool/mail/(.primary|.secondary)/xx/(domain
name)/(user name)
or, /var/mail/spool/.primary/ab/abc.com/username for example.

tpop3d picks up the mail, and delivers it to the user via a user@domain
authentication method, while authentication without a (@|!|:)domain part
defaults to my primary domain name. Secondary MX mail (backups) are stored
in BSMTP under mail/.secondary/(domain) and re-injected once the host is
back online (which is checked by different software and more MySQL
jargon(tm)). Of the few ten thousand users I currently host on a few
thousand domains, not one single ${local_part} has a account on my server(s)
for mail access. Everything's done under generic UID/GIDs which only Exim
and tpop3d can access, whilst all authentication, management, routing and
directing happens from generic MySQL databases configured and managed by my
customers... Furthermore, I've also implemented some generic stuff, such as
virus scanning, mailing lists, aliasfiles, rbl, SSL, authentication, pop b4
smtp, etc.

It works pretty neat, and I do allot of additional MySQL jargon(tm) such as
blocking senders based on specific recipients and all kinds of stuff. Even
aliases and forwarders (originally the .forward files) are managed through
MySQL jargon(tm) which is in return, all setup in a nice little PHP
interface allowing my customers to manage their email, *click* Just like
that!

I'd definitely have to take my hat of to Philip for the excellent platform
(exim) to implement such awesome mailing systems on. I'm hooked on Exim
till the day I die!

--
me