Re: [Exim] Help upgrading from 3.34 to 4.02

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Help upgrading from 3.34 to 4.02
--
tor, 2002-03-28 kl. 22:42 skrev Patrick Boucher:

> Greetings,

Saluts!

Ta réplique vers/à la groupe, s.t.p., pas moi personnement :c)

>    [ Question 1 ]
> I have been using a simple Exim config for the past couple of weeks. Now
> i am upgrading to version 4.02

Upgrading? Implies you had Exim 3 before. If so, did the Exim 3 work?

If you did, for what you're attempting now there is no difference
between Exim v3 and Exim v4.

At least, if you are compiling yourself and have made/edited your own
Makefile.

You seem to be running Exim on Linux. Are you? What Linux?
Fast/Alltheweb think's it's Suse (because of 'killproc').

> But keep on Starting .. I now have 5 Exim working when i do ps ax
> To close exim i use the line : killproc exim It keeps on failing.
> Does anybody have an Idee?

No. Perhaps it is respawning because it is trying to do something it
can't.

What does 'ps aux | grep exim | grep -v grep' tell you about the user ID
that Exim's running under? _Not_ 'ps -ax', but 'ps -aux'.

> daemon /usr/exim/bin/exim3 -bd -C /usr/exim/config.r3

1: You don't need 'daemon', since you give '-bd' as option.
2: What's 'exim3'? Where do you get that from? Why isn't it just 'exim'
or even 'exim4'?
3: - there is no option for queue running, e.g. '-q15m'.
4: Why do you include the config file in the command? Why do you call it
"config.r3"? Standard for you would be /usr/exim/configure, unless you
specified something else in Makefile.

>     [ Question 2 ]
> Other problem. I have difficulties understanding the concept of security
> in Exim.
> in my original config i have the option: nobody_group = nobdy and
> nobody_user = nobdy

This isn't possible, neither in the Exim config, nor the Makefile. What
you have above will have no effect on anything. You should have
"exim_user" and "exim_group", not the above. These should be existing
users, or you can make new users and groups: I have user=exim and
group=mail. 'exim' should then be a member of group 'mail'.

Moreover, there isn't normally a user called nobdy. It's "nobody".

> but exim4 Does not seems to have theses options.. And I keep on getting
> error "permission denied"
> on /usr/exim/spool/log/mainlog,

Yes, well, configure the user and group correctly, and as root
chown/chrgrp user and group on /usr/exim/spool/log.

You'll also have to do the same on the users' (localparts') mail
directory (/var/mail or /var/spool/mail). You might also have to set the
sticky bit on this directory ('chmod a+t /var/mail' or whatever it is).

> What i have done:
>     in the makefile on Compile Exim absolutely wants an User: so i Set
> mail (8) to be the user.
>     I changed the permission on all the Subdirectory..
>     Exim does not want to work.

> in my mainlog i can read:
>
> unable to set gid=45 or uid 505 (euid=8) userforward router
> internal problem in userforward router: Failure to transport data to
> subprocess

Don't know where this is coming from. Do you have the wrong 'group' or
'user' set in the router? If so, get rid of them and substitute
'check_local_user', after making the correct user and group for Exim (so
that they're present in /etc/passwd and /etc/group).

> I check in linuxconf who is the group with ID: 45 and it is popuser.
> and user id 505 is my email test account.
>
> I think mail:mail user is unable to write to those directory.

Exactly.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981