Re: [Exim] Timezone problems

Author: Wilhelm Spickermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Timezone problems

--Am Samstag, März 23, 2002 18:25:14 -0800 schrieb
David@???:

> I feel sure there must be a way to be able to set the +0000 to
> something else (while still using localtime as the time), but
> all attempts (setting TZ, adding /etc/localtime file and
> setting timezone in the exim configuration plus all
> combinations of these) have failed so far...

Hi,

I assume that you have set the hardware clock to local time. If
that's true:

TZ and system files like /etc/localtime only change the way
timestamps are broken into days, hours, minutes etc. The do not
change the meaning of system time values, these are equal for
equal times (different wall clock readings) in Tokio and
Cleveland, Ohio (*). All Unices assume the existence of a system
clock which is not running localtime but counting seconds since
the 1-jan-1970 00:00:00 UTC.

If the system really has to run local time in the hardware clock
-- useful if MS-windows is booted alternatively -- then you need
to change the kernel to create a virtual clock running unix time.

So I think your clock is not showing the right time with the
wrong offset but the time as it is set with the selected offset,
but that time is wrong.

Wilhelm

(*) Exception: The traditional unix time rules require a
continuously running counter. The POSIX time rules require, that
minutes with 59 or 61 seconds are to be counted as if they had
60 seconds. This has lead to the situation, that a unix
timestamp has two different interpretations now and is no longer
portable between systems.