Re: [Exim] Open Relay ?

Author: John W Baxter
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Open Relay ?
At 16:58 +0300 3/1/2002, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
>Second question is about running TWO instances of Exim. I know about -oX
>port_number.
>What I want to do, just because I have virtual users, is to run an
>instance of Exim
>dedicated to them (yes, they are growing by the day), which will then do
>ASMTP via
>the mysql db where these users details are. I can tell them to set their
>clients to
>the port I decide to use but the complication that I am facing is that I
>want to run
>both instances on one mail server. Can someone who's got experience with
>this advice
>on the major considerations that I have to make - different spool
>specification, etc.
>Can I make this second instance to use the first instance as smart_host?

We're having good luck with two instances reading the standard SMTP port
with different addresses on the same machine. We haven't tried different
ports on one machine. (We're dealing with incoming mail to virtual domains
that way--they also want less filtering--so it's all handled with DNS...for
outgoing mail, you would have to train them to use a different SMTP server
name, but they wouldn't have to mess with the port number.

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA