Re: [Exim] Open Relay ?

Author: Chad Leigh -- Shire Net LLC
To: Odhiambo G. Washington
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Open Relay ?
On Friday, March 1, 2002, at 08:58 , Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:

> Second question is about running TWO instances of Exim. I know about
> -oX port_number.
> What I want to do, just because I have virtual users, is to run an
> instance of Exim
> dedicated to them (yes, they are growing by the day), which will then
> do ASMTP via
> the mysql db where these users details are. I can tell them to set
> their clients to
> the port I decide to use but the complication that I am facing is that
> I want to run
> both instances on one mail server. Can someone who's got experience
> with this advice
> on the major considerations that I have to make - different spool
> specification, etc.
> Can I make this second instance to use the first instance as smart_host?

I use a second instance of exim running my exact same config file on a
different port and I use the same spool directories, etc. The second
does no queue running, just receiving. I have not had problems, though
I have not analyzed it in detail to see if one might theoretically
occur. I run the second instance for those customers whose ISP block
port 25 access. I make all my relaying users (ie, those customers who
send through me) use ASMTP and auth on their pop or imap name.

Chad