Re: [Exim] About local_scan() -function

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About local_scan() -function
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:56:23AM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
| On 01 March 2002, Petri Laatunen said:
| > Spec.txt of Exim 4 says it's not recommended to modify the file behind fd
| > which local_scan function get's as its argument.
| >
| > So, how do I make updates in that file right way? Of course I can generate
| > a new message and try mail it, but what do I do with the old one?

| I had the same concern; I'd like to use local_scan() to run messages
| through SpamAssassin and reject spam.

I want to see this as well, but after reading the local_scan() spec it
seems like it will take some work.

| SA adds some headers to all messages it processes,

According to the spec, this is fine.

The problem arises in two places :
    o   adding the report to the body
    o   getting the whole message (headers too) as a single stream.

The second problem is where the real development work will need to be
done. The current SA design/implementation is to get an entire
message as a stream, perform some tests on it (some are header-based)
and then write out the result (in the form of the message with some
modifications) as a new stream. Getting the answer from SA won't be
too hard, but feeding the message to it doesn't exactly match the
current local_scan() interface.

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."