Re: [Exim] About local_scan() -function

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Petri Laatunen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About local_scan() -function
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Petri Laatunen wrote:

> Spec.txt of Exim 4 says it's not recommended to modify the file behind fd
> which local_scan function get's as its argument.

This recommendation is because I think it is an unwise thing to do, and
I haven't worked out all the consequences.

For example, if you change the number of lines in the file, values that
Exim has computed (e.g. $body_linecount) may be wrong.

What kind of changes do you want to make?

> So, how do I make updates in that file right way? Of course I can generate
> a new message and try mail it, but what do I do with the old one?

If you return a failure code, the sender will get a bounce message.

However, if you just remove all the recipients and return an OK code,
the message is blackholed.

I am glad that somebody is experimenting with local_scan(). It was
invented at user request, but it does need some people to try it out, in
order to see what it limitations are and how it works in practice.

Philip