Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: dman
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?
My last comments.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:53:48PM -0500, Dave C. wrote:
| On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Oliver Dawid wrote:

| All of the most common mail clients automatically support the 'reply to
| all' concept.

As I mentioned to Dave in response to his private message (before I
saw this), "reply to all" does not correctly support mailing lists.
(it is better than nothing though) The difference between that and
mutt's and gnus' list-reply function is the list-reply sends a reply
*only* to the list, and anyone else who has requested a copy via the
inbox of all mail sent to a list I am subscribed to. In several cases
I have seen the personal copy first and not noticed the list address
also in the To: so I have sent a private repsonse that should have
been on-list.

| > ok rewriting the From: line isn't the solution although in the envelope
| > the sender is still present (but who is looking at the envelope).

| Actually, it is not. Most list software specifically *does* (and
| *should*) change the envelope sender address so that if messages it
| sends bounce they go back to the list processor (possibly the admin of
| the list, possibly an automated processor).

In theory. In practice many mail handlers just bounce to the
list's address (and is delivered to all list members) instead of the
list handler or admin. (I think those handlers are all MS-made)

-D

--

"Don't use C; In my opinion, C is a library programming language
not an app programming language." - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)