Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: dman
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:30:00PM +0100, Oliver Dawid wrote:
| hi dman,

| On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, dman wrote:

| > No, No, No, and No! Don't do that! If you do that, how will you ever
| > know who wrote the message? And suppose you (at some point in time)

| (-:

| >     http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

| thanks. i agree with most of the aspects the author says about munging the
| Reply-To in email headers.

| > and consider upgrading to a mailer that comprehends mailing lists.
| > The problem is an end-user tool (MUA) problem, not a MTA problem.

| yes you are right - i really agree with you.

:-).

| i just want to find a way, to make it easy for all users (win and
| linux with all kind of brain-dead
| mua's)

mutt works great on both :-). So does gnus, or so I've heard.

(those are the only mailers that I know of that understand the concept
of a mailing list)

| to get their mail to the list easily. this is only for one special
| list - i dont consider using it for the rest.

Alright, not an easy task to convince Lookout users that other tools
really do exist ;-).

| ok rewriting the From: line isn't the solution although in the envelope
| the sender is still present (but who is looking at the envelope).

Much of the time the envelope isn't present once delivery is complete.

| can you tell me, how to add a Reply-To: if it is not there? this would be
| the best way i can think of. like

| if $reply_to is unset
| then
| $reply_to = my_list@mydomain
| endif

Perhaps

    headers_add = "Reply-To: ${if eq {$h_Reply-To:}{} {my_list@domain} {$h_Reply-To:}}"

will do it, but I'm not sure if it just adds the header or if it
creates a duplicate header with that data in it.

Reading the manual closer, I think this is what you want
    headers_add = "Reply-To: ${if !eq {$h_Reply-To:}{} {my_list@domain} fail }"
or even
    headers_add = "Reply-To: ${if !def:h_Reply-To: {my_list@domain} fail }"

OTOH this may be even more confusing to people if replying to some
messages go to the list and others go to the sender (his reply-to
addr).

-D

--

Microsoft: "Windows NT 4.0 now has the same user-interface as Windows 95"
    Windows 95: "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot"