Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN (SOLVED)

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Philip Blundell
CC: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN (SOLVED)
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Philip Blundell wrote:

> In message <003401c0588e$93e9fe80$6401a8c0@mike>, "Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC
> " writes:
> >I'm just imagining all of the Linux distributions (etc.) compiling Exim for
> >distribution with IPV6 in and then thousands of users seeing something
> >like this.
>
> If the Linux distributions do this, they ought to add the appropriate stuff in
> /etc/hosts as well so that it works. The IPv6 code is already a bit of a mess
> in places and adding a run-time option as well as the compile-time one to
> enable it would make this even worse.

Quite. However, Linux distributions have, in fact, been doing this for
quite some time, and there hasn't been an enormous outcry.

I didn't think of this happening. From my point of view, I'm producing
source distributions, and people who want to use IPv6 must set HAVE_IPV6
when they build Exim - if someone does that, you kind of expect them to
want Exim to do IPv6 things and to set their hosts up so that it works.

I have made a couple of small changes to help in this state, the most
recent of which was dns_ipv4_lookup for the 3.20 release. This prevents
Exim from doing IPv6 DNS lookups itself. However, I forgot about
gethostbyname2() (and getipnodebyname(), which is the more recent
function to do this job). I suppost that setting dns_ipv4_lookup should
probably force Exim to use gethostbyname(). I will make this change in
due course, but not in a hurry.