Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN (SOLVED)

Author: Moritz Schulte
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim does unwanted DNS lookups for LAN (SOLVED)
"Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. G8TIC" <mike.tubby@???> writes:

> > > So, i guessed that gethostbyname2() failed, because it couldn't find a
> > > IPv6 address in /etc/hosts. I'm not familiar with IPv6, so I'm not
> > > sure, wether this is correct...after adding '::1 orion.sc orion'
> > > to my hosts, gethostbyname2() doesn't trigger a internet connection
> > > anymore. :-)
> >
> > Yes, that sounds very likely.

[...]
> I take it from this that HAVE_IPV6 is a compile-time option...
>
> I guess that this could catch a lot of people out - its one think to compile
> in support for IPV6 but shouldn't we also have to "turn it on" in the
> configuration file as well? for example a "use_ipv6" or similar...
>
> I'm just imagining all of the Linux distributions (etc.) compiling Exim for
> distribution with IPV6 in and then thousands of users seeing something
> like this.

ACK.
I think a runtime option to let the user decide wether "byname" should
use ipv4-gethostbyname() or ipv6-gethostbyname2() is a very good
idea. It would solve these problems....

Is there no possibility now to let "byname" choose the ipv4 address
from /etc/hosts, if it's there?

    moritz
--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@???> http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/