[Exim] Dealing with yahoo's MX issues

Author: David Beery
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Dealing with yahoo's MX issues
Greetings,

I am interested in how some of you are handling the issues with
yahoo's MX servers?

Yahoo is using a bunch of MX records and each of the listed MX hosts
have a large number of cnames listed sometimes. An somewhat normal
way of speading the load over a large number of machines. Toss in a
few load balancing devices like the cisco distributed product, a Big5,
etc.. device and you have a controllable method of dealing with load.
However, it looks like a listed machine will only accept a connection
for a short period of time. If dns has cached the entry you end up
getting a connection refused error and try again later. Hopefully the
dns entry in the cache has expired and you can perform another dns
query, and deliver mail. Sometimes this works, other times the mail
sits in the spool for a while.

I was thinking of forcing all yahoo.com mail to relay though another
box using sendmail or postfix, but I see that as a hastle.

How are other people handling this issue?

I am using Exim 3.13 and will be upgrading to 3.2 shortly.

--
David Beery

Wireless First                 http://www.speedconnect.com
          MDS, MMDS, ITFS, 2.4Ghz
(v) 231 922-2367            (f) 231 922-2370