Re: [Exim] Incoming mail lost without trace

Author: Dave C.
To: Zero Piraeus
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] Incoming mail lost without trace

"Set up right" is subjective. There are many ways to set up mail.

Do the MX records for your domains point to your server, or to your
ISP's?

If they point to your server, then the world should be dropping mail
off at your port 25 (assuming you had a daemon listening there), and it
is then entirely yours to work with. Unless your server has dedicated
connectivity, this is unlikely.

If you dialup or some other sort of dynamic/intermittent connectivity,
it is more likely the MX records point at your ISP's server. They may
be delivering it to a mailbox for you to retrieve by POP3, they may be
batching it up and waiting for you to issue an ETRN, or a number of
other scenarios. Inside of just disussing wether its 'right' or not,
I'd find out exactly how it is set up, and how their setup is supposed
to work.