Re: [Exim] Using AMaViS configuration help

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Using AMaViS configuration help
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Danke Schon :) What is the system overhead like, implementing this on
> 1. A corporate mailserver (exim 3.14 / redhat 6.2 on a 256k dsl line - about
> 400 users)

Depends on how many mails w/ attachments you handle, how large those are,
and most of all how many scanners you use with amavis.

> 2. A webmail box (exim 3.14 / redhat 6.2 on a well-connected colo server)?
>
> Both boxen are due for an upgrade (more RAM and a few other things) real soon
> now, so I was thinking whether it'd be best to wait for the upgrade or run with
> it right now.

A Celeron300A w/ 128mb does handle mail for ~50 people without any signs
of persistent load. So I guess an average current system may serve you
well. As is also covered in detail in various posts in the archives is
that for scalability, mostly disk I/O matters.

Greetings,
Volker
--
V. T. Mueller      UCC Freiburg, Germany     vtmue (at) uni-freiburg.de

                  "It is salutary to train oneself to be no more
                   affected by censure than by praise."
                                                    W. Somerset Maugham