Re: [Exim] Relay troubles

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: John W Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Relay troubles
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, John W Baxter wrote:

> At 12:28 +0100 9/27/00, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> >[Philip - is this becoming a real stumbling block - maybe an occasional
> >stat of the config file & rexec if its changed would be a good thing?]
>
> Or maybe not...I edit the config file. I realize my error before HUPping.
> I'm too late to fix it because, according to Murphy, the occasional stat
> happens before I can fix the error.

I agree whole heartedly with John about this one.

Also on systems with no non-SMTP injection of mail (or where it is very
infrequent), I often would take the lazy process of editing configure and
then testing it, and only HUPing after the tests. That is the typical
cycle is

co -l configure
vi configure
[test and re-edit as much as necessary]
ci -u configure
HUP
test over SMTP.

Now while it would be better form to use a separate configure file and
test with the -C option, this really is a good way of working. And yes,
of course there are times when I forget to HUP, but there are also times I
forget to HUP inetd and other things. Such is life, I really don't like
the idea of the configuration file being reread unless I tell it to be.

If people really want that kind of thing, than why not have an editing
script something like

#!/bin/sh
editor= {$EDITOR-vi}

$editor /path/to/configure

# this depends greatly on many installation dependent things
/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim hup
echo "Configure edited and hupped"

-j

--