Re: [Exim] setting up exim for SMTP-AUTH as client

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jonathan Pyle
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] setting up exim for SMTP-AUTH as client
On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Jonathan Pyle wrote:

> How do I use exim to send email through a smarthost that requires
> SMTP authentication? I am not a professional, so I don't understand
> the documentation on this topic.

With respect, if you don't understand the documentation, perhaps a
little background research to enable you to understand it might not go
amiss. Floundering with prescriptions you don't understand usually
wastes a lot of time.

Having said that, the documentation does, give explicit examples of
configuring clients for AUTH, namely, the following authenticators:

  fixed_plain:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = PLAIN
    client_send = "^ph10^secret"

  fixed_login:
    driver = plaintext
    public_name = LOGIN
    client_send = ": ph10 : secret"

  fixed_cram:
    driver = cram_md5
    public_name = CRAM-MD5
    client_name = ph10
    client_secret = secret

I can't tell you which ones of these to use, because you have not told
us which authentication method your smart host is using. I suppose you
could just put in all three and see what works.