Re: [Exim] Hairy Autoreply Setup

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Phil White
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Hairy Autoreply Setup
On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Phil White wrote:

> Stage 2:
> Sometimes (dependant upon the same file that is used in basic setup),
> the original senders email is to be passed on to the owner of the
> auto-reply mailbox. The owners email account may be local or remote
> to the exim-host machine.
>
> Stage 2 is causing me the problem - mainly because I am stubborn and

Doesn't "return_message" on the autoreply transport do what you want?
Well, sort of. It has a size limit.

Hmm. No, I can see why that isn't really right.

I don't understand where an alias goes wrong. You detect the incoming
local part, and alias it to some other local part that ends up at the
autoreply, and, optionally, also to some other address that gets
delivered normally.

This would involve two directors (one to catch the magic address for the
auto reply, one to do the aliasing). The underlying reason is that you
can't use an aliasfile director to send some result addresses direct to
a transport and others not.

Alternatively, use a filter file. That does allow you to generate
replies and forwardings to taste. It can be a fixed file, referenced by
a single director.