Re: [Exim] delaying route queries

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] delaying route queries
Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey+lists@???> probably said:
> Now I can probably put the relevant relay in a file to be used by
> route_file when I dial-up so while I am connected I can have the correct
> routing. But when I am not connected and am making use of queue_only_file
> I don't know what number I will be using the next time I dial-up.
>
> So one option seems that if I could actually delay routing (and not just
> delivery) for remote destinations while disconnected then I might be able
> to get this to route correctly after I dial up and go via the correct
> relay.

My laptop connects to many networks in many places, since I havn't
had time to mess with SMTP AUTH yet, I've been using;

queue_remote_domains="*"

and

  # this laptop should route domains I handle directly, directly to moek
  localroute:
    driver = domainlist
    transport = remote_smtp
    host_find_failed = defer
    route_list = "\
                pir.net        pir.net bydns; \
                *.pir.net      pir.net bydns; \
                *.rfc.pir.net  pir.net bydns; \
                rfc.pir.net    pir.net bydns; \
                "

  # deal with any special routes from the connection method
  fileroute:
    transport = remote_smtp
    driver = domainlist
    route_file = EBASE/route-file
    search_type = partial0-lsearch

Usually route-file is empty, but I've hacked the dhclient script to
add in any smtp server supplied by a dhcp server (happens at work and
home) and I've hacked my dialup scripts so for each dialup "target" I
put the name of the smarthost in a file that gets copied in place if
the connection is successful.

When my link comes up, be it through dialup or ether, I run exim -qff
and off goes my mail ...

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???