Re: [Exim] delaying route queries

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: exim-users, Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] delaying route queries

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > So one option seems that if I could actually delay routing
>
> Just queuing a message does delay routing. And indeed, Exim always
> re-routes a message every time it tries to deliver it.

OK. I think I now know why I was so confused. Setting for queue remote
(I do it with queue_only_file = remote/path/to/file ) does indeed queue
the message only and defers routing, as desired.

However, if there is a normal queue run while that is sitting there
queued, bad things happen. Under Peter Radcliffe's scheme (which I have
adopted/adapted) which uses the following router (in my version)

fileroute_to_gateway:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_file = TABLES/exim-route-file
search_type = partial0-lsearch

where TABLES/exim-route-file is empty when not connected; is
* e1.empirenet.com byname
when dialed up to one number; and is
* smtp.empirenet.com bydns
when dialed up to the other number.

(Yes, really. Same ISP but different mail hubs depending on dial-up
number used. Only the latter number allows me to fetch news, but it works
infrequently).

Anyway, if exim does a queue run while exim-route-file is empty I get
a hard failure because I am sending to an unroutable domain. The router
listed above is the only router.

I suppose, just as I write this, if I added a director at the end that
just defered everything that hit it, that should do the job. I will play
with that. Hmm. Yes, that should work since when the exim-route-file
contains a * entry everything will go that way, and so will only fall
through when that file is empty. Now the trick is to create such a
router.

In the meantime, the only option is to not do any queue runs while not
connected. That is fine for now, but in the future I expect to need to do
queue runs for things on a local network.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html