Re: [Exim] Can noforward-user skip .forward?

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Exim Users, Dave C.
CC: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Exim] Can noforward-user skip .forward?
On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 08:44:10PM +0200, Phil Pennock wrote:
> On 2000-08-25 at 11:37 -0700, Marc MERLIN gifted us with:
> > So, I'd like to do an expn on the mail server to see if the Email resolves
> > to something else and capture that, but I don't want the .forward to kick in
> > and show me /home/user/Mail/inbox. I also don't want to see if they forward
> > mail to some other machine.
> >
> > I used to do an exim -bt -C /etc/exim.noforward.conf back when the lists
> > where running on the mail server, but that's no more, and one machine should
> > not be able to automatically log in the other one.
> > That's why I'm trying to check names through the SMTP interface.
>
> Add 'no_expn' to the aliasfile director(s).

Ah yes, I was so focused on getting the noforward- thingy to work that I
didn't think about using noexpn.

> Define 'smtp_expn_hosts' in the main config section.

Yeah, I already did that.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 03:09:57PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
> Actually, he probably wants it in the forwardfile director, since that
> is the bit he doesnt want to see when doing EXPN - he does want to see
> the aliases..

That's what I did, yes.

> One question I might have is what if the aliasfile points at an
> off-site address? Or are you simply going to reject anything where

1) that's against the company Email policy :-)
2) it doesn't matter. I don't really care if bob forwards his EMail to
cindy, I care that bob subscribed his login name to the list and not
some alias. That way I can check the subscription list against my login
list.

> <user@localdomain> doesnt expand to the exact same <user@localdomain>

I want to do more than checking, I've been automatically replacing the
subscription name in the list.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 08:44:10PM +0200, Phil Pennock wrote:
> > Actually, he probably wants it in the forwardfile director, since that
> > is the bit he doesnt want to see when doing EXPN - he does want to see
> > the aliases..
>
> Excuse me?
>
> Although that's the _usual_ behaviour desired, that's not what was
> requested here.

Actually it was :-)

> See:
> > our mail server)
>
> This, and the mention of wanting to check this remotely, led to my
> suggestion of putting no_expn on "the aliasfile director(s)" (which
> should have the word 'relevant' in there somewhere) and allowing the
> appropriate hosts to do so via smtp_expn_hosts.
>
> In what way is expansion of aliases ('some_random_alias@') prevented by
> use of a forwardfile director, which typically works on a basis of a
> per-user level.

What I needed was for alias to be resolved to login but not login resolved
to whatever .forward says

Anyway. While getting the noforward-user stuff working would have been cool
(I could see other uses for it), the no_expn definitely takes care of what I
need to do.

Thanks to yall for the suggestions.
Marc

Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key and other contact information