Re: [Exim] problem with exim 3.16 and SMTP expn

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] problem with exim 3.16 and SMTP expn
On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 05:01:03PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> I believe this crash is caused by the setting of log_rewrites in your
> configuration. It is trying to log the rewrite, realizing that this
> isn't a real message, but an address testing situation (EXPN), so not
> writing the log, but trying to write to stderr instead. Problem is that
> the daemon, without debugging, has closed file descriptor 2. My
> hypothesis is that vfprintf on your host isn't robust against this.
> It explains why you never got the problem with debugging turned on.

Yep, that makes perfect sense.

> I will think of a way round this - I suspect that log_rewrites should be
> forced OFF when doing address testing, but there is the general problem
> of log calls in this situation. In the meantime, your workaround, if you
> need it, is to turn it off in your configuration file.

It only happens if I expn a domain that I rewrite on, something I really
never need to do (I only stumbled on it by mistake), so as I mentionned,
it's a "doctor, it hurts when I do that. Don't do that then" kind of thing.

> As I am going to be away for most of next week, there won't be a proper
> fix for a while, but I don't judge this as hugely urgent.

Absolutely not, a fix whenever is fine.

Thanks,
Marc

Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key and other contact information