Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Gyan Mathur
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Gyan Mathur wrote:

> I'm hoping that future developments will all be upwards-compatible for
> a while now. My config (on the mail hub) is complicated enough for me
> not to want another round of incompatible changes as happened from
> Exim 2 to 3, good though Philip's conversion utility was.

I don't like incompatible updates. However, in the long term, I and
others have talked about the possibility of merging routers and
directors into one entity, and there are some other similar "major
upheaval" ideas floating about. Whether these get done (and when) rather
depends on what people actually want. If Exim does go on for some time,
however, it would be good to do a major cleanout/tidyup of this kind,
because code does get messy and dusty, and can often be improved by a
rethink. Merging routers and directors could provide a lot of
simplification, both in the code and the documentation.

But this is *not* on the horizon yet. So I think your hope is probably
safe, if "for a while" is no more than, say a year or so.