Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Author: Gyan Mathur
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Agreed on most points.

> 1) Regular expressions (my bane!) may need some hefty explanation if you
> intend to go into real depth!

As you say, these are well documented elsewhere. Just a reference
would be enough.

> 2) With Exim's continuous development will the book become dated too
> quickly?

I'm hoping that future developments will all be upwards-compatible for
a while now. My config (on the mail hub) is complicated enough for me
not to want another round of incompatible changes as happened from
Exim 2 to 3, good though Philip's conversion utility was.

> Or will it just be the internals that is now changing (to avoid
> the creeping featurism)?

I suggest not documenting anything internal at all. In normal
circumstances no-one, certainly not in the intended audience for the
book, should need to alter the code, or even read it. Philip has done
a splendid job of making sure it will compile on any known system.

Groet

Gyan.