Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] What do you want in a book?
On 15-Aug-00 at 16:21:05 Gyan Mathur wrote:
>> Or will it just be the internals that is now changing (to avoid
>> the creeping featurism)?
>
> I suggest not documenting anything internal at all. In normal
> circumstances no-one, certainly not in the intended audience for the
> book, should need to alter the code, or even read it. Philip has done
> a splendid job of making sure it will compile on any known system.

Oh I would agree that the internals as such should probably not be printed.
My statement was refering to the possible increase in the number of
'options' and whatever else that may appear in Exim in the near future.
Philip has very recently already proposed a new option on the list. In that
respect suppose another 10 options are created over the next year, at what
point will Exim have changed such that the book is becoming obsolete and/or
that a new Edition is required? If, however, it is considered that the
development of new 'features' is sufficiently slowed down that the book will
be (at least reasonably) upto date then it is a good time to start on the
book in earnest. If the rate of development is quick then perhaps waiting
until such time that Exim has 'stabilised' would be better.

I guess it could likewise be argued what is 'sufficiently slowed' :-)

It was perhaps more me thinking out loud than anything. I occassionally have
to read about something only to find that it is out of date and has not been
updated (no new edition). Very annoying. In that respect I was wondering how
long it would be before the book would require a new edition - would it be a
long time or a short time? (Okay so it could be asked what's a 'short time'?)
I think it's time to go home...:-)

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???