RE: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Bernard Stern
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:38:28 +0300 Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Quoth John jacq on Wed, Jun 21, 2000:
>> Ah but that's illegal (us giving the list membership to the DMA), there is a
>> difference between *giving* the information to a third party and a third
>> party *taking* the information by themselves. If one wants to be serious
>> about it then one should start with the telephone directory which gives away
>> far more detailed information about a person than an email address, it
>> reveals the real name, the address, the telephone number, heck it sometimes
>> even gives the email address away. Are you trying to tell us that telephone
>> directories are going to become illegal in Europe?

> I don't know of any phone books that give away e-mail addresses,
> but still... First, you can ask your phone company not to list
> your entry in the phone book. Second, it's illegal (at least in
> Israel) for anyone (except the phone company, I believe) to sell
> their list of phone numbers to telemarketers. IANAL, and I don't
> know all the details, but businesses and public services who ask
> their clients for phone numbers are forbidden to sell the list of
> the numbers to third parties. So there.

Mmhhh... here in Switzerland, phone books indeed contain e-mail
addresses and home page addresses. However, on the customer's request
only (I just randomly openend the phone book of my area to check). And
as far as I know, it's not possible to ask the phone company not
to be listed in the phone book, except for very exceptionnal and
rare reasons. Then, the company in hold of the phone books does
indeed sell your address, unless you take the necessary step to
forbid that (basically when you request a phone number, or when
you move to a new place, you fill in some form, and on this form
you have to tick a little box that says something along the line
"don't use my address for commercial purposes". See, the default
is to sell your address). But this goes a bit too much off-topic
here...

>> Email addresses are not confidential, the UK and EU are sadly mistaken on
>> this point.

> Why aren't they confidential? Again, I believe it must be
> illegal for anyone to disclose the e-mail address they received
> from me to anyone else without my agreement. It's a matter of
> privacy. When I want to give someone's e-mail address to someone
> else, I ask the first someone for their agreement. I usually
> receive it, because I usually have a logical reason to disclose
> others' e-mail addresses, but that's not the point.

Since IANAL myself, I don't know about this being legal
or illegal. Whatever, even if there were laws covering
this, I don't think they would be enforced, for many many
reasons.
But, I completely agree on you that this SHOULD be illegal,
that one's data SHOULD be kept private. Sadly, we do no
longer live in such a world.

(...)

>> You open a yahoo address and you're automatically listed in
>> their email address directory.

> Very bad.

Indeed!

(...)

Regards,

Bernard Stern, SWITCH

        mail: SWITCH Head Office       a          Tel: +41 1 268 1520
              Limmatquai 138           n          Fax: +41 1 268 1568
              CH-8001 Zurich           d        e-mail: stern@???