Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
Quoth John jacq on Wed, Jun 21, 2000:
> Ah but that's illegal (us giving the list membership to the DMA), there is a
> difference between *giving* the information to a third party and a third
> party *taking* the information by themselves. If one wants to be serious
> about it then one should start with the telephone directory which gives away
> far more detailed information about a person than an email address, it
> reveals the real name, the address, the telephone number, heck it sometimes
> even gives the email address away. Are you trying to tell us that telephone
> directories are going to become illegal in Europe?

I don't know of any phone books that give away e-mail addresses,
but still... First, you can ask your phone company not to list
your entry in the phone book. Second, it's illegal (at least in
Israel) for anyone (except the phone company, I believe) to sell
their list of phone numbers to telemarketers. IANAL, and I don't
know all the details, but businesses and public services who ask
their clients for phone numbers are forbidden to sell the list of
the numbers to third parties. So there.

> Email addresses are not confidential, the UK and EU are sadly mistaken on
> this point.

Why aren't they confidential? Again, I believe it must be
illegal for anyone to disclose the e-mail address they received
from me to anyone else without my agreement. It's a matter of
privacy. When I want to give someone's e-mail address to someone
else, I ask the first someone for their agreement. I usually
receive it, because I usually have a logical reason to disclose
others' e-mail addresses, but that's not the point.

It should also be illegal to anyone to mail me without my
agreement, for the same reason it's illegal (in the States, at
least) to fax people without their agreement -- it's a theft of
service. I heard that there is also a law somewhere (US?) which
states that it's illegal to place a phone call without intention
to have a conversation.

> You open a yahoo address and you're automatically listed in
> their email address directory.

Very bad.

> >BTW "the EU or the UK have no jurisdiction over our list" is wrong - in
> >the same way as the US music industry has no jurisdiction over a school
> >age person in Scandinavia I guess.
>
> Indeed it hasn't, what the US music industry can do is sue a Scandinavian
> for breaching Scandinavia's laws, not the US's. It can't sue on the basis of
> US laws.

That's a good thing and a bad thing about the Net -- no universal
laws. Again, IANAL, so I don't really know who is right in this
case.

Vadik.

--
When in doubt, be yourself. And if that fails, su root.