Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Chris Bayliss
To: vadik, exim-users
Subject: Re: U-ZO: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
> > Email addresses are not confidential, the UK and EU are sadly mistaken on> > this point.
>
> Why aren't they confidential? Again, I believe it must be
> illegal for anyone to disclose the e-mail address they received
> from me to anyone else without my agreement.

I'm not convinced that they are confidential, or whether this has any
legal significance anyway. As I understand it, the Data Protection Act
(in the UK) deals with personal data, registration of data (what its
for and who it can be disclosed to) and principles by which the data is
acquired and handled (fair trading etc). Email addresses would appear
to be personal data and covered by our laws. Other data (eg names and
addresses) are clearly not confidential in themselves but are covered
by data protection laws.

Chris Bayliss