Re: [Exim] Exim as a backup MX

Author: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim as a backup MX
At 1:00 +0100 5/31/2000, Tim Bishop wrote:
>3. Say Exim was the only backup MX, and the main MX server was down for an
>extended period of time (say 24 hours). Will Exim queue the mail for that
>domain normally and thus generate the usual "mail has not been delivered for
>x hours" messages ? Surely from an end-user point of view when an e-mail is
>delived to any MX server for a domain it's considered "received" ?

The way we have Exim installed, testing shows that indeed a delivery
delayed message is sent out if the primary MX is down for the 24 hours
after the message arrives in the Exim-run secondary MX. There's no
indication that Exim was serving a secondary role, unless one studies the
To: address vs the identity of the Mailer-Daemon vs the MX records.

Since today's typical mail sender merely faints when getting one of those
messages, and calls tech support upon recovery, you can expect that few
will study the message that closely.

--JOhn
John W. Baxter, Port Ludow, WA, USA jwbaxter@???
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.