Re: [Exim] Exim as a backup MX

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim as a backup MX
Quoth Tim Bishop on Wed, May 31, 2000:
> 1. How does Exim know where the final delivery should be ?

local_domains

> Assuming it's a
> backup MX that simply relays the mail on to the main MX server. Am I correct
> in saying it will try and delivery to any other listed MX server with a
> higher priority than itself ?

Yes.

> 2. Can Exim be told to relay all mail it receives for the domain it's
> running as backup MX for to a specific host ? I believe this is done using a
> router, as you would for a smarthost, but just for the specific domain ?

Well, you can list the relay domains in a lookup file and write a
domainlist router such as:

to_relay:
  driver = domainlist
  domains = lsearch:/var/exim/relaydoms
  route_list = "*    host.to.relay    bydns_a"

But why?

> 3. Say Exim was the only backup MX, and the main MX server was down for an
> extended period of time (say 24 hours). Will Exim queue the mail for that
> domain normally and thus generate the usual "mail has not been delivered for
> x hours" messages ?

Yes.

> Surely from an end-user point of view when an e-mail is
> delived to any MX server for a domain it's considered "received" ?

No. It's considered "passed on". Noone knows anything about
final delivery.

Vadik.

--
Yes, you can get an account if you promise not to wear ties
anymore.