Re: [Exim] Configuring Exim to Work with SuSE 6.4

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Richard
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Configuring Exim to Work with SuSE 6.4
On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 02:28:31PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> For some months now quite a few people I know of who use SuSE every
> day of the week have been trying to work out how to get exim to work
> with their machines. Both Nigel and Philip have tried to help me but
> we can't understand what to do.
>
> Can some one help me out with this ? There are hundreds of people out
> there who would like to use Exim but can't because there's no info
> available. To start with the rpms are no good. They only work with
> Red Hat and even when I tried that I couldn't get it to work with Red
> Hat. So that leaves the tar.gz source file. Apparently I need to
> edit the EDITME file. This looks like something out of a 1950s
> American science fiction film :-) I mean... what am I supposed to do
> here ??? Which bit do I chop around for my dialup SuSE machine that
> I use at home ??

Do you know how to read? If you did, then you would have looked at the
file called README (yes, it's even in capitals...). Here a quick summary
to get to it... Oh, the '$' is your prompt, BTW.

    $ unzip exim-3.14.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf exim-3.14.tar
    $ cd exim-3.24
    $ more README

Then, it's realy simple. You just follow the simple steps that the
README file contains. It's not difficult... it realy isn't. Just read it
and try to understand what it says. If some terms are a bit strange, see
www.exim.org which has a very good indexed help.

However, if you find it difficult to understand the steps in there, I
would sugest you learn a bit about system administration before
installing a new MTA.

If you realy want, here is the best way to install exim:
    $ cp src/EDITME Local/Makefile
    $ cp exim_monitor/EDITME Local/eximon.conf
    $ make
    $ su -
    $ make install
    $ find / -depth -name sendmail -print | xargs rm -f
    $ ln -si /usr/exim/bin/exim /usr/sbin/exim
    $ ln -si /usr/exim/bin/exim /usr/sbin/sendmail
    $ ln -si /usr/exim/bin/exim /usr/lib/sendmail
    $ ps | grep sendmail | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill -9
    $ /usr/sbin/exim -q30m -bd

Unless you understand those, I realy would not copy and paste them... ;>

PS: I wonder if that was helpfull enough? Maybe we should start working
on a perl gtk GUI for the install and the configure file?

--
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer
PGP: www.kierun.org/pgp/key                 Mailmaster for the Planet Online