Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I wish to do username rewriting for unqualified addresses, but not
> for ones that are qualified with @Cranfield.ac.uk

Exim was designed to work internally with qualified addresses entirely,
'cause that's what the RFCs say email addresses are. At the borders of
Exim there are some cases when incoming unqualified addresses are
accepted, but they are immediately qualified. That applies to envelope
addresses. Exim doesn't care very much about what is in the header
lines, unless you set one of the header-checking options. However, if
you try to rewrite an address in a header line and it is unqualified,
Exim will first of all qualify it, because the rewriting functions
expect to deal with full addresses.

> The only thing I can think of is to set qualify_domain to be something
> like
>
> qualify_domain = rewrite.this.Cranfield.ac.uk

Yup. That's the only way to do this.

> Are there better ways?

What is the deep and mysterious reason that makes you want to treat
cc047 and cc047@??? differently?