Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > I wish to do username rewriting for unqualified addresses, but not
> > for ones that are qualified with @Cranfield.ac.uk
>
> Exim was designed to work internally with qualified addresses entirely,
> 'cause that's what the RFCs say email addresses are.

Let me clarify. The unqualified addresses are generated locally and do
not come in via STMP. Indeed, what I am actually after is getting From
line localpart rewriting from exim's autoresponder in users filter files.

> > The only thing I can think of is to set qualify_domain to be something
> > like

> > qualify_domain = rewrite.this.Cranfield.ac.uk
>

> What is the deep and mysterious reason that makes you want to treat
> cc047 and cc047@??? differently?

As always, such things are historical, and how an undocumented feature
creeps into something that needs to be maintained.

The story is something like this (I'll skip the part involving PP).

At one point we did from line rewriting based on subdomains with different
rewrite tables for different groups of subdomains. (This was when we used
PP). But did no rewriting for @Cranfield.ac.uk

Later we stopped distinguishing based on which subdomain, but maintained
the distinction in that being in one set of sub domains triggered the
rewriting. For a while, both Pine and ECS did not allow users to set
their own from lines (which was one of the reasons we used them), but
picked up usernames. We still have and use a pseudo subdomain
ecs.pc.cranfield.ac.uk in our MUA configurations.

Because of the way the aliases files (under both PP and sendmail) were
built when we built them, it turned out that recipient addresses like

cc047@???

worked along side

J.Goldberg@???

even though the former never should have leaked. Of course people
discovered that they had two email addresses and started using that
feature.

So, for those who can and do set their own From lines, if it is
"@Cranfield.ac.uk" we don't rewrite. If it's "@???"
(and others) we do some rewriting. I want to do the rewriting for
messages generated by autoresponders which start out life as
unqualified usernames.

I want my vacation messages to be From J.Goldberg@??? and not
from cc047@???

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814