Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] qualifying and rewriting
> Because of the way the aliases files (under both PP and sendmail) were
> built when we built them, it turned out that recipient addresses like
>
>    cc047@???

> worked along side
>
> J.Goldberg@???
>
> even though the former never should have leaked. Of course people
> discovered that they had two email addresses and started using that
> feature.

We're in a similar situation here at Strathclyde, although perhaps for
different reasons. We have numerous forms of addresses inherited from
historic machines and systems which people can be emailed at, and a few
forms which their outgoing mail appears to come from, depending on the
mail software they use.

Ideally, we'd like all outgoing mail to be of the form
I.N.Bloggs@???, and all incoming mail to be addressed the same,
and do away with all the variants that mention usernames. But we don't
live in that ideal world!

Although it's probably relatively easy to do that, by judicious qualifying
and rewriting and appropriate configuration of clients and so on, perhaps
the trickiest issue is for those people on mailing lists subscribed with
one of the many userid-based strathclyde addresses - they suddenly might
find they can't post to said lists (and in the worst cases, be unable to
get off/change their list addresses).

I think this is a long term problem which will involve more user education
than actually technical prowess. Something we ought to be starting to do
sooner rather than later!

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks                                   Computing Officer, IT Services
Webmaster, Cachemaster, Listmaster;      University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
                                                      jethro.binks@???