Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ian Southam
CC: John P Connor, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Ian Southam wrote:

> You seem to get a situation where one awkward message can block up the queue
> runner and the next one sits behind it waiting for it to finish and the next
> one ..... Obviously after a while the retry time gets set and the message
> stops holding things up but, the other active queue runners don't seem to
> notice (hence stopping the queue).

That would happen with an awkward *domain* rather than an awkward
message, if there were lots of messages containing addresses for the
same domain. (Or domainS if they all point to the same host.) The first
queue runner picks up one message, finds no retry information for the
host, and so starts to deliver - and gets stuck. The next queue runner
picks up another message for the same host, still finds no retry
information, and so also gets stuck... etc. Only after one has failed
and set the retry information will subsequent ones start skipping. Hmm.
This is an unfortunate side-effect of the way Exim works. I am not sure
I can do much about it.