Re: [Exim] "optional (aliasfile) option"

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tristan Aston
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "optional (aliasfile) option"
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Tristan Aston wrote:

> Will the "optional (aliasfile) option" perform
> the same function if the "aliasfile" is actually
> a query-style database lookup ?

Unlikely. The test that the generic code in Exim applies is "a call to
the lookup's 'open' function failed, and errno=ENOENT". I suspect that
the various database lookup modules won't fit this API.

Indeed: I've checked LDAP, MYSQL and NIS, and in all cases the 'open'
function is a (successful) no-op.

In what circumstances were you wanting to use "optional"?