Re: [Exim] "optional (aliasfile) option"

Author: Tristan Aston
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "optional (aliasfile) option"

..thanks

I've been experimenting with a few different
configurations, trying to make mail delivery as
tidy as possible.
One thing I used for a while was
a MYSQL lookup for aliases as the first director.
...really, what i wanted to do was have the
message passed to the next director if the
mysql server was down, and not defered.
It seems that all messages get defered if the connection
to mysql cant be made.
..I also have a director that deleivers mail to a default
location if nothing else matches, so the aliases director needs
to come before that.

Hmmm looks like in my effort to make things tidy
I've mad a bit of a mess.. :)

...maybe i need to attend your course ? :)

I'm sure I'm going to be asking for advice/input
a lot over the next few weeks, I really want to
get my mail delivery working in a simple effective
and tidy fashion before i "go live" ...looks to me like exim
is the best answer to my needs in that regard.

....sorry, I rambling a bit now, excuse me ..big
night on the beer last night...

anyway

cheers,

Tristan

On 20-Jan-00 Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Tristan Aston wrote:
>
>> Will the "optional (aliasfile) option" perform
>> the same function if the "aliasfile" is actually
>> a query-style database lookup ?
>
> Unlikely. The test that the generic code in Exim applies is "a call to
> the lookup's 'open' function failed, and errno=ENOENT". I suspect that
> the various database lookup modules won't fit this API.
>
> Indeed: I've checked LDAP, MYSQL and NIS, and in all cases the 'open'
> function is a (successful) no-op.
>
> In what circumstances were you wanting to use "optional"?
>

> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tristan Aston