[Exim] Exim appears to be IO Bound

Author: John P Connor
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim appears to be IO Bound
Hi

I'm running Exim 3.02 on a Sun E250 with 512Mb memory, 2 300Mhz UltraSparcs
and 2 18Gb mirrored disks. IMHO, this is not a "small" system (but please
feel free to correct me). Exim is configured to accept inbound SMTP for the
domain and forward it to the appropriate POP3 servers.

Problem is, the system has started to run really slowly lately, with sar -d
looking like this:

Average    md0              99    12.8     111    1624     0.0   115.8
           md1              99    18.0     131    1891     8.0   129.2
           md2              98    10.9     111    1625     0.0    98.5

Clearly this is not good. I have been running with a slighly modified
out-of-the-box config file with mods to cope with the way we authenticate
messages. Exim on this box is dealing with 200,000 messages a day. I note
from Yann's postings earlier that they are dealing with millions of
messages.

The queue on this box is now building up faster than it can be cleared, but
the POP3 server it delivers to (only one at present) is doing OK. Is there
anything I can do to make Exim use the disc less, as Yann suggests in an
earlier posting? Or do I need an extra box at this point?

Cheers

John P Connor