Re: [Exim] Exim Newbie

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim Newbie
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:11:32 -0600, you wrote:
>I just joined the list. A friend of mine set up exim and suggested I set
>it up on my system. I was wondering if there is a best version to download.
>I see there
>are several different releases available. I'm going to can this RedHat
>and install Debian Potato this weekend

Exim is Debian's default MTA, so you will end up with exim after that
potato installation anyway. Current stable version of exim is 3.12;
Philip announced a 3.13 for next week. I don't know what version is
currently in Debian potato, but if it's any 3.x version, it's fine for
a newbie. If you want to compile exim yourself, take the most recent
version available at that time. I have never seen Philip release
something that won't run at least "reasonably well".

If you compile exim yourself, you will need to build an equivs package
to satisfy dependencies within Debian. Get back to me if you need
assistance doing that.

>subscribe to the low volume announcement list - see
>http://www.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-announce
>
>Funny because the -users list seems low volume as well, so far at least.

That depends on your definition of "low volume". exim-users has had
about 1400 messages since late october 1999, which averages to about
20 messages per day.

The announce mailing list has about a message a month.

Greetings
Marc